Today we had a trip across the North Yorkshire Moors and spent several hours at the Ryedale Folk Museum.
William Hayes’s (1871-1940) Photographic Studio has been moved there. It’s the oldest daylight lit studio surviving. His studio still has his large format camera with 7.5 inch portrait lens and his dark room is also there.
The studio was set up in 1902 in Monkgate, York, and moved to Hutton-le-Hole in 1911.
In many ways its not much different todays studios, a selection of cloth backgrounds, props, but instead of flash, a side wall of glass and a glass ceiling.
The Museum opened in 1964, and the original exhibits comprised of the private collections of Wilfred Crossland, Raymond Hayes and Bertram Frank.